Basic Insurance provides the minimum amount of coverage legally required to operate a motor vehicle in BC
This coverage includes:
- $200,000 Third-Party Liability
- Accident Benefits
- Underinsured Motorist Protection (UMP)
- Hit-and-Run and Uninsured Motorists Protection
- Inverse Liability Coverage
Third-Party Liability: Covers for bodily injury or property damage you may cause to others, and are held legally responsible for.
- Third-Party Liability does not cover damage to property carried in the vehicle, property you own or rent, or operation of attached equipment.
- some commercial vehicles may require a higher limit.
Accident Benefits: Provides medical and wage loss insurance if you are injured from a motor vehicle crash.
- This is no-fault insurance; you are covered regardless of who is at fault
- Benefits are payable to all passengers of a vehicle licensed and insured in BC
- applies to any named Autoplan policy holder or family member who is injured as a pedestrian or cyclist.
- coverage extends throughout Canada, as long as they are hit by a BC-insured vehicle
Underinsured Motorist Protection (UMP): Covers you if the at fault driver does not carry sufficient liability insurance
- Coverage for bodily injury caused to you
- up to $1,000,000.00 of coverage
- included for all motorists with a valid BC driver’s license
- saves the injured party the cost of having to personally recover a portion of the amount awarded up to $1,000,000 over the amount carried by an at fault driver
Not included in Basic Autoplan an additional $1,000,000 in coverage can also be purchase through Excess Underinsured Motorist Protection (Excess UMP) for a total limit of $2,000,000 (see optional coverage’s)
Hit-and-Run and Uninsured Motorists Protection: provides a total of $200,000 coverage for accidents that occur on a BC highway for property damage, bodily injury or death caused by the negligence of an uninsured or unidentified (hit and run) motorist.
- Different from Underinsured Motorist Protection (UMP)
- separate from the basic compulsory insurance coverage of $200,000
- available to all residents of BC, whether or not they own or insure a vehicle or have a BC drivers license
Inverse Liability Coverage: protects your vehicle in the event of an accident outside of BC in an area of Canada or the US where local laws will not allow you to recover losses from a driver who causes a crash.
- pays for the cost of repairs to your vehicle, to the degree that the other driver was held responsible.