Going on vacation is a fun and exciting adventure. Don’t let mishaps that are out of your control spoil your fun. Sometimes accident or unforeseen events can prevent you from taking that trip or interrupt it while you are away. Once you book your trip, make sure you purchase travel insurance to protect yourself for unforeseen events that could prevent you from taking that long awaited vacation or interrupt it while you are away.
Here are 6 things to know about insurance protection before planning your trip
1. When do I have to purchase my travel medical insurance?
Travel insurance must be purchased before you leave your province or country of origin. It can be purchased right up to the time you leave but you should always check with your insurance agent in advance to ensure there is no requirement such as a medical questionnaire that may need to be completed by your physician. For anyone over the age of 60 years always check your policy for coverage on any pre-existing medical conditions.
2. Can I extend my coverage if I decide to stay longer?
Yes, you can extend your period of coverage before your policy expires by contacting your agent or the insurance company. The following conditions apply:
- Your period of coverage has not expired
- You have not submitted a claim and have no intent to submit a claim
- You have not seen a physician or other registered medical practitioner since your departure date
- You are in good health and do not know of any reason to seek medical attention
If these conditions haven’t been met, the insurance company may still authorize an extension but there would be no coverage for subsequent claims related directly or indirectly to any condition(s) or symptom(s) for which you have already received medical treatment prior to the extension.
3. I have coverage through my Company Benefit Plan and/or my credit card is this sufficient?
Some company plans and credit cards will provide medical coverage but there could be shortfalls or gaps in coverage. Make sure you know what your medical benefits plan or credit card covers you for and compare it to a travel policy. You may still need to top up that coverage to ensure you are fully covered.
4. Is Trip Cancelation and/or Trip Interruption Included?
Trip Interruption and Trip Cancelation are not covered with the basic Emergency Medical Insurance but can be purchased as separate policies. You can purchase them individually or as a combined policy.
- Trip Cancelation – means an event occurring prior to your departure date, causing you to cancel your trip
- Trip Interruption – means an event occurring on or after your departure date causing you to interrupt or disrupt your trip as originally scheduled or to return earlier or later than your return date. Please note: this coverage must be purchased prior to leaving for your trip
5. If my bags are lost or stolen will I be covered?
Lost or stolen baggage is not covered under the Emergency Medical Insurance but can be added as an additional coverage.
- Pays for the loss, damage, destruction or theft of persona effects owned by the Insured while in transit, in a hotel or en route anywhere in the world on land, water or air
6. What do I need in the event of a claim?
You should be provided with contact information to carry with you in the event of a claim (wallet cards may be provided). If it is a medical claim you or an appointed person should contact the Claims Assist number and notify them as soon as possible so that they may assist you through the process. They may provide you with valuable information on what you need or where to go to get help. A good suggestion is to leave photocopies of all of your documents and personal information with someone you trust, so that in the event you suffer a serious injury and are not capable of notifying the insurance company yourself, someone would be able to contact them on your behalf to help you in the process.
- Always keep original receipts to submit in the event of a claim
- All required documentation must be received within one year from the date of the loss/claim – refer to policy wordings
Find a travel insurance policy that is right for you. Sussex Insurance can provide additional add-ons so you get the exact coverage you need. If you have any questions about travel insurance or are wondering what our policies include or visit your nearest Sussex Insurance location.